Ideas at Work: Benefits of Community Colleges, Continued…

• Ideas at Work: Benefits of Community Colleges, Continued…

Posted by Barbara Rodriguez, PhD on May 20, 2024 at 11:30 am

Hello Everyone! As more of us join ACUE Commons’ Community College special interest group, I would like for us to have a robust discussion about the Benefits of Community Colleges. Please join the conversation:

In this short video from 2014, Josh Wyner of the Aspen Institute discusses the two primary benefits of a community college: (1) direct skills for workforce needs and (2) an on-ramp to a four-year degree. Do you agree, disagree, or are your thoughts more nuanced? Share why. Let’s discuss. I look forward to the conversation.

Geraldine Klonarides replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Sarah Diehl

May 20, 2024 at 1:12 pm

Hey! I love this perspective. Community colleges are very valuable in both these cases. I started at a community college for the reasons he said – I couldn’t afford a four year school and I wasn’t necessarily prepared to go to one.

When thinking about college preparedness, there’s a lot more that goes into it than academics. You might not be emotionally prepared for the independence that comes with the traditional four year experience, especially when it comes to living in dorms, or the social aspects. For students who aren’t ready to take that jump for either physical, financial, or emotional reasons, community colleges are great options. This is just another way to think about how community colleges can support their students. I relied heavily on the services my two-year school had to offer as I navigated my education and career goals. For many, they’re a safe space or a more gentle transition.

• Barbara Rodriguez, PhD

May 20, 2024 at 5:20 pm

Sarah, I appreciate your phrasing, “gentle transition,” and in my opinion, over the last decade or so, community colleges have gotten so much better about providing wraparound services for students or as some say, “holistic student support.”

• Geraldine Klonarides

May 22, 2024 at 5:31 pm

Hi,

Community colleges shine in two key areas: career prep and transferability. Firstly, they offer programs directly aligned with workforce needs. This means you can develop in-demand skills for your desired field, often through hands-on learning, and be job-ready much faster than a traditional four-year degree. Secondly, community colleges act as a smooth on-ramp to a bachelor’s degree. By completing your general education credits and potentially some introductory major courses at a fraction of the cost, you can seamlessly transfer to a university and save money while laying a strong foundation for your bachelor’s degree.