I could really use a boost right now 🚀

• I could really use a boost right now 🚀

Posted by Maria Fernandez on April 19, 2024 at 5:39 pm

Prompt: As we are approaching the end of the semester there may
    be students who are feeling very challenged at this point in time. What
    strategies do you implement with your students in an online course to
    promote a growth mindset?

Purpose: Helping motivate your students during any time of the semester. Find ways to motivate a growth mindset.

Time of Year: You can incorporate growth mindset strategies at the start of the semester but it can also be incorporated in the middle or end of the semester.

Resources:

• Please watch Promoting a Growth Mindset video of Professional Assistant Professor Chimene Burnett from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi share how she implements growth mindset.
    • Wieman, C. (2013). Motivating learning. (download PDF) Retrieved from the Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative at the University of British Columbia website.
    • Attached ‘Sharing the Research on Growth Mindset‘ an implementation resource from one of ACUE’s course modules, Helping Students Persist in Online Learning.
    Maria Fernandez replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Mary Kate Terrell

May 7, 2024 at 4:51 pm
    42 Points

I think it is important to boost ourselves right along with our students. We have to make self-care part of our academic excellence equation because it’s the only way to be positive mentors for our students. And, mentors, we are, indeed. I love the growth mindset video and resources you posted. They are always good to revisit and review. I think that we should surround ourselves with those who also have and foster growth mindset so that we can help each other.

• Maria Fernandez

May 8, 2024 at 4:06 pm

Mary Kate, thank you for joining in on this group conversation. I am in total agreement with you, Kate. Self-care is something that I am constantly advocating. There are many great resources out there and some institutions have incorporated them into their teaching and learning centers. We most definetly will remain focused on this for a bit, as we await others to join our community here.