What does a learning community mean to you?

• What does a learning community mean to you?

Posted by Lauren Foster on April 18, 2024 at 12:37 pm

What does a learning community mean to you?

Are you teaching or have you taught in a large class setting? “Large classes are typically considered those held in large ‘lecture’ halls and often hold 75 or more students. This is a simplistic view as “..the concept of large class size is subjective, largely contextualized and situational based,” (Lipinge, S., 2013).

Establishing and maintaining a learning community within a large class does have its challenges and benefits. Please reply with your recommendations or share what you already do for making a large class feel like a learning community.

Learning Communities

Teaching a Large Class

Lauren Foster replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lauren Foster

May 17, 2024 at 9:51 am

@melissa-gutierrez @marlene-naquinSouthernMissGP @matthew-mckee what is your experience with teaching large classes? What did community look like in your practice?

• jmonserrmdc-edu

July 27, 2024 at 5:25 pm
    354 Points
    Commons Launch Leader Recognition: Top Founding Contributor

Thanks, Lauren,

I teach exclusively in a virtual environment, so no hall or theater type live platforms. Online. classes are usually capped at 30 – 40 students. I understand the issue of maintaining student engagement is the ideal, regardless of pedagogical methodology and number of students. In my case, and as I’ve mentioned before, the use of my LMS functionalities and other AI tools are designed so that I can design the class in a way that facilitate student engagement. AI tools can be powerful.

• Lauren Foster

July 30, 2024 at 3:02 pm

Thank you for sharing. How do you use AI to engage students in your virtual courses large classes? I would love to learn more.