Ideas at Work: Let’s Discuss a Current “Hot Topic”: Generative AI

• Mary Kate Terrell

September 4, 2024 at 12:47 pm
    170 Points
    Commons Launch Leader Recognition: Community Builder

I am trying to redo almost all my analysis assignments to use AI. For instance, I want students to write a prompt that has AI evaluate a popular movie of their choice with the conflict theory and functionalism (on a 7th grade level). They have to turn in the prompt to me and what AI generated. Then they have to look at their lecture notes and evaluate whether AI got it right or wrong. They have to cite their notes to prove that AI matches or doesn’t match our in-class or online video lecture practice that we did in the formative processes leading up to this point.

• Kelly Williamson

Organizer
      September 5, 2024 at 11:16 am

Thank you for sharing! Are you planning any prompt analysis during discussion?

• Mary Kate Terrell

September 5, 2024 at 1:26 pm
        170 Points

I am sorry I didn’t see this response until now. I just figured out how to click on my name and see the notifications. I suppose I need to reset some email alerts that I have turned off. Anyhow. Yes, I want to create a discussion board activity in which students compare the prompts the wrote so they can hone those skills for commanding AI to do what they want. AI needs to be our servant, ya know? but garbage in means garbage out, just the same as it always has.

• Kelly Williamson

Organizer
          September 5, 2024 at 1:32 pm

No worries, let me know if you need assistance with your notifications!

• Laurie Pendleton

September 5, 2024 at 1:17 pm

This sounds like an excellent assignment! A lot of the experts we spoke to for the AI Quick Study series said that having students pass in what AI generated is an excellent way to create an AI-inclusive assignment. It’s also helpful to then ask them to argue AI’s response.

I’d be interested in how this assignment goes for you.

Laurie

• Mary Kate Terrell

September 5, 2024 at 1:23 pm
        170 Points

Thanks for the input. What I am struggling with now is grade level stuff. I want to assign this activity NOW, only 4 weeks into the term and that means they don’t have mastery yet, obviously. So there is a fine line I need to determine between a formative activity and a summative one.

• Laurie Pendleton

September 5, 2024 at 1:34 pm

Such a good point! Maybe @matthew.ingram has some ideas!

• Laurie Pendleton

September 5, 2024 at 1:35 pm

There might be something in this article that helps…https://learn.acue.org/unlocking-human-ai-potential-10-best-practices-for-ai-assignments-in-higher-ed/

• Mary Kate Terrell

September 5, 2024 at 1:39 pm
            170 Points

okay, i just sent him a connection request. The more collaboration the better, so thanks for the networking. I look forward to all the ideas I can get from you all. AI scares me, thrills me, gives me great pause and all of the above. I have some colleagues who shun it altogether because “it will take our jobs soon., if we aren’t careful.” The way I see it is if we embrace it, we’ll keep our jobs, if we build the great wall of China around ourselves to try and keep it away from what we do, we’ll be the ones who need to go when/if it does take over some of the basic things we do. I teach at a community college where intro level classes are the only courses gen ed folks can provide. To get higher level stuff, they have to go to the university. When I see the AI assistant that facilitated the mini courses I took in the learning lab section of Commons, I can see what the fright is all about.

• matthew.ingram

September 5, 2024 at 8:34 pm
              31 Points

Greetings, Mary,

Thank you, Laurie, for including me in this dialogue! I love that you are bringing in AI with intentional teaching moves geared toward critical thinking and evaluating its accuracy against the material they’ve learned.

A couple of things come to mind, and excuse the longer post share:

One thing we will start thinking about more carefully with AI is how this connects to the cognitive tasks we want students to do and how they are being transformed. I will attach something for Oregon State University that inspires me when thinking about AI use; it has a taxonomy that has AI built into it and distinguishes AI capabilities versus distinctive human skills. Thinking through this can help plan an AI implementation.

If I understand your assignment correctly, that distinctively human element is the process of prompt writing, critiquing the AI response, and cross-checking information.

One thing I’ve spent time doing in my speechmaking classes is talking about what makes “effective prompts” in the first place. I thought my students would be highly skilled at this already; it turns out they need the ethical guidance we can offer on this. Jose Bowen is one of my favorite educational leaders/scholars who has great ideas on teaching prompt creating: https://teachingnaked.com/handouts/

For feedback and grading, depending on the end goal, you might focus on things like:

-their comparison between the results is the similarities and differences they notice in AI’s interpretation of prompts.

– their ideas on how well the AI-generated response aligns with what they are learning in the course and materials.

And, even if it’s early in the course, think of it this way: How can I use AI tools to help work towards that mastery? The comparisons and analysis of AI response to what they are learning, or even, perhaps, afterward, having them see their sources to support the AI ideas? My key to what I am seeing in your assignment is helping learners build critical mindfulness.

I hope that helps! Check out the attached Bloom’s taxonomy; it’s helpful!

Matthew

• Laurie Pendleton

September 6, 2024 at 2:25 pm

Thanks, Matthew! Such great guidance and resources.

• Mary Kate Terrell

September 10, 2024 at 6:14 pm
              170 Points

Thank you for this. There is so much to unpack and as a self proclaimed Luddite, I know that I have to have a growth mindset when it comes to using this really really scary (to me) tool in teaching. I don’t want to get a rugged pulled out from under me in the future because I rejected its innovative power. And I want to be relevant in my students’ eyes since many of them probably use it daily in ways that would never occur to me on my own.

• Kelly Williamson

Organizer
              September 11, 2024 at 12:27 pm

Starting small is a start! I agree that you should ask your students how and why they use AI tools to inform where you first focus. They might also not realize that some of their platforms use AI.